In India, we can say this is the era dedicated to entrepreneurs, we see a lot of people taking that extra edge while leaving their jobs and moving into entrepreneurship, well some do succeed, some give-up, and some have been slow yet steady and are still going determined towards their aim. We have got one such story from the entrepreneurs’ pool who believes that let “my actions to speak louder than my voice”. Here we are presenting the true story of how this common man became a successful entrepreneur. He also speaks about the right strategies and determination that turned him into an entrepreneur:
Suryakant was born into a normal middle-class family and always led a simple life. He did his schooling from a good school and pursued Post graduation in Maths and Computer Application and there on he worked in IT industries and served global clients for more than 20 years. During his initial stage of career, along with his full-time job he spent a good amount of time and efforts in acquiring a few more certifications in the field of Business Management and completed his MBA Degree as a part-time course from the reputed institution. When he was in his mid-age of employment, he has a good career growth and became the Director of R&D and Delivery in an IT MNC. He served his last company for good tenure and later decided to open his own venture in 2012.
Needless to say, starting a new venture is always exciting and challenging. Moreover, when a person is on such a high-level position and well-settled life, taking the risk of leaving the full-time job to pursue his own passion is indeed a courageous job. Well, we can say that Suryakant is a risk taker, for his entrepreneurial venture and he came up with the business model which is self-sustainable. Presently, he is on the board of directorship of five firms and he is on the advisory board of few others.
Before further discussion, Suryakant also mentions that his family has been a major strength in his success journey he also believes that without family support no one can move or grow.
Peeking into Suryakant’s firms:
In shorter timeframe from 2012 to now, he has established multiple firms into Business Consulting, Software Development, and IT Consulting. His prime focus is towards Business Consulting and developing entrepreneurship across India. His Business Consulting firm primarily engage with its clients on long-term engagements to enable those businesses to take-off growth ride. His firm helps organizations in the field of sales and marketing, business expansion, managing business risks, technological development, business transformations, and organization alignment. In other words, basically, his firm helps other enterprises overcoming from any crisis, as they have an expertise of analyzing the crises and have multiple decades of experience to define the solution to the problems. His firm work as a helping hand/partner to its clientele towards increasing figures and showing a way to success using led by example technique.
Suryakant individually and personally Mentor, guide and consult more than hundred entrepreneurs, founders and board of directors to grow their business and to be the leader in their respective industry/domain and to manage their business crisis using state of art management practices and international standards.
Aim & Motive:
- Suryakant observed that we in our Indian culture are following a typical mechanism of scoring good marks in schooling, pursuing graduation preferably into engineering or management with mandatorily good grades, moving next is seeking a job in a good MNC and now you are ready to get married. However, Suryakant wants to change this cultural blockage and he would love to see people thinking creatively and innovatively and be an entrepreneur. His dream is to see India as a country of Entrepreneurs and multi-national Enterprises in all domains and products. Thus this was the primary Aim to establish his ventures into business consulting.
- Further, it is a very common experience for the entrepreneurs’ stakeholders (clients, investors or stakeholders) that they don’t believe the capabilities of a young/aspiring entrepreneur. He advises handling such situations by taking baby steps (means grow slowly, show small results in small projects or prototypes) and thus builds the trust in their customers and stakeholders.
- He says that if you (an Entrepreneur) want that others should believe in you, before that you must believe in yourself. He has explained that at times due to various external environmental factors, entrepreneurs lose confidence in their own strengths and they diverted from the path of success. For this, he demonstrates them to take a step back, do retro-analyze, make a correction plan and implement slowly with full confidence and with full measurement and control. So that you can measure results and show the success.
- On the Funding and Investment requirement for a business, Suryakant believes that his prime focus is to make organizations self-sustainable. So asking on how can you do so? He explained that the biggest mistake what many Entrepreneurs do that they think that once they will get such funds then only they can start the venture. And for those entrepreneurs “tomorrow never comes”. On asking more details on how such crises shall be addressed, he further explained that it is again a bad culture in India is that no one would like to invest in Idea or in a sinking company. Therefore, it is must to an entrepreneur that let you start the venture with small funds, Go in bootstrap mode, make some success in pilot products within known and controlled market. And then seek for larger funds. He also added that any enterprise be it big or small are always short of funds no matter what size of funds they require. So it will not be the case ever that one day you will get such a huge fund that whole life you can run a business without further funding requirement. He also added that his firm also acts as a bridge between organizations and investors. And thus he knows it very well, that once an investor sees the success story with limited funds, he gets the confidence that if this enterprise can do GOOD with such small fund, then if I bring money they can do wonders. So this gives an upper hand to entrepreneurs while dealing with investors.
Suryakant is not a big fan of awards. His firm has been offered awards before by a few institutes, but he does not believe in awards. Interestingly, the agencies have offered him to sponsor something and in return, they will ensure some kind of Award. But he believes that that money should be invested preferably into the business growth first. He has seen many cases where an enterprise which has some awards but can’t perform well in the market and on the contrary the enterprise doesn’t have any award but performing well in the market. Therefore, he emphasizes that all stakeholders believe in results and success stories over the number of awards you have. So he recommends that an Entrepreneur need not waste his time, money and efforts for such sponsorship or paid events and need not to create unnecessary hype.
Suryakant believes in developing a “Good to Great Organizational Culture”. A pleasant, friendly working atmosphere to employees where employees are motivated and to make organization a place where innovation becomes the culture. Then in return, the employees would do wonders. He has implemented the same philosophy in his ventures and also as a consulting service to other enterprises.
As a serial Entrepreneur, the companies which he set up are DeVoz IT Consultancy, Pragya Shri Infotech, Pragya Consulting, Datanerv Solutions limited, Azlan Consulting, Pebidata Solutions all are in Hyderabad. His new venture is ALTITUDE CONSULTANCY from INDORE, MADHYA PRADESH.
Advice to today’s entrepreneurs:
- He has a couple of advice for our new and budding entrepreneurs. Though the tip may change depending on case to case basis he suggests that:
- All the aspiring entrepreneurs should not be afraid of failures and should proceed with their first step and do something innovative.
- Do not follow the crowd. There are a lot of renowned entrepreneurs to guide you to take their help to avoid failures.
- Never think that you can manage alone. A business does not run by one person alone. A business needs an ecosystem. A lot of people make such mistake and try to be monopolistic and thus failed, on the contrary, the entrepreneurs who either develop the eco-system or be part of eco-system have success stories.
- You should do what you do the best and for other work either associate or collaborate with others.
In the end, Suryakant mentions that ups and downs are part of every enterprise life or entrepreneurial life. Therefore trouble or struggle or downfall (whatever you can name it) is bound to come but it is completely on you, how you will react to it. If you are confident, you may not find your trouble as a big issue. Rather you can find a way to come out of it. Thus, be confident and smart enough to judge your problems and find the solution. At times, you may find yourself convinced in associating with business consulting firms that might help you to solve your problem or to lowering your business risk
He also has an Entrepreneur Club that has more than 300 entrepreneurs across India. But this club currently is working in bootstrap mode and most probably will have a nationwide launch in coming years.
We were interested in covering his story as he had the courage to leave his career in the midway, that too when he has achieved good designation in his career and can actually think of enjoying this earned reputation. However, he decided to start from scratch leaving his settled job to become an entrepreneur. Further, to him no problem is big enough which one cannot solve when you talk to him in business terms; he will always smile at the problem and believes that it will have a solution. These are indeed some qualities which we loved too much in him… and indeed made him eligible to be featured on our website you can get in touch with Suryakant as well. Hope you enjoyed reading this great story on how a common man became an entrepreneur! We invite you to express your thoughts on this true story!
This story is edited by –Srishti Mehra Arora and till we bring an interesting story to you – Let’s toast to good thoughts…